First a disclaimer: Gor is something I know not much about.....I have not read the books (at least I do know they exist and have a rough overview of the storyline) and I have only fleetingly visited Gorean sims, read a few articles, been to a couple of discussions on the subject.
What I do know though.....is that in many D/s communities Goreans are despised, ridiculed, or generally talk of with rigorous contempt. I hear many comments like "Gor has no place in D/s" and "They are just game players and not serious about the lifestyle" amid scoffs of laughter and jeering.
This kind of behaviour raises a couple of questions for me....If Gor is just roleplay...and therefore not considered serious or honourable.....would those that partake in ANY D/s or online relationship with no intention of following it through to real life....also be considered as just roleplay and not taking it seriously?
What is the difference? Is it more about the individual people than the "name of the game"? I have heard it suggested (in so many words) that there are rather a high percentage of assholes in the Gor community...hmmm...but surely a rose is still a rose even if known by another name.....surely an asshole is an asshole whether (s)he be a Gorean asshole, a white, black, gay, heterosexual asshole? a British, American, African, Koala or Marsian asshole....is surely going to be an asshole whatever lifestyle choices they make.
And what of the Gorean slaves? I have crossed paths with a few slaves on SL who were entering or enjoying the "world of Gor" and what it offers them. They seemed pleasant enough human beings. Polite and friendly and rather un-opinionated, with varying needs that seem to be satisfied in part by Gor. They still get hurt when relationships end.....and also appear to "fall in love" with their Owners as readily as any other in this virtual world. Hmm...not so different from many submissives / slaves / people / beings that I meet.
I visited a discussion recently about how the Gorean genre fits into other D/s genres....and question came up as to whether it was strictly about the books or more about the principles. From the people that were there I gathered this: it seems that the books provide a fantasy context - the clothes, the feel, the rituals and ceremony. This provides the roleplay aspect...the storyline. But the principles....which I gather are also open to interpretation and adaptation to a greater or lesser degree....appear to provide a strict structure and set of rules for those engaged in Gorean relations to live by in a D/s manner. People whose needs appear to be rather similar to those of other people engaging in any type of D/s relationship. Control, structure, rules, ownership, obedience, sexual sadism or masochism, play.......do they seek any less in their relationships, qualities such as commitment, honesty, trust, loyalty, courage, protection....care?
Relationships in SL Gor also appear to be as lasting or fleeting as any other relationship in SL.
So...to real life.
I understand that there are those that proclaim they live a Gorean lifestyle in real life. I refer back to the discussion I attended earlier....is it in fact that many of these people are just following the strict structure of some of the Gorean principles as part of their real life D/s lifestyle? Probably. Perhaps like many other real life D/s relationship described as 24/7 it is more about the mindset than the minute by minute practice.
Yes...I am sure that there are a few...minority....people that DO try to practice a real life Gorean lifestyle...minute by minute...beating by beating....sale of each slave at a time....keeping their slaves kept in a cage in the basement until such times as they kill them off......but would they be described as Goreans? or....psychopathic serial killers?
Maybe I have it all wrong......
In conclusion to this post.....I pose the question again. Does Gor have no place in D/s?
Tolerance....humility....and kindness to others......do they have no place in D/s?
2 comments:
What a great discussion!
I think that GOR is more D/s.
I think GOR is more BDSM.
I think these things because I role play. And within a way of life, role play has it's place. But Role Play is NOT a way of life.
Yet GOR can be a way of life. Ergo, it has a place in D/s.
In many ways, GOR can also be better RP than RP:
I don't really know too much about D/s - sure, I've been to some lectures, heard a few things here and there. But I thought the GOREAN's were a little bit more than just RPers. For a start, their rules state that their posts and emotes need to exude atmosphere to be judged as just OK. They have to delicately paint a picture of the slave's service, of her /his dedication to the happiness of their master. These rules, or etiquette, is so much more demanding than the expectations in many role playing sims. - It's very attractive; my typical experience in even my home Sim 'Slaver Bay' is that I agonize over a post of 5 sentences, to receive a 10 word single line response is draining - I can assure you!
Thanks Estos for a RPers perspective on things.
As you say dedication/feelings/effort are often symbiotic to RP rather than mutually exclusive.
Given that everything we do has its own "motivations", I would suggest it it those that determine whether the roles W/we play have credence in O/our own and the lives of those around U/us.
W/we ALL play roles....in every aspect of O/our lives. I for one am quite different at work than I am in my personal life...because I have a role to fulfill there that is different to my role in the home, with my Master, or with my family, friends, etc.
Who is to say that one type of RP is acceptable where another isn't....if the motivations of the individuals are clear, then it is those that should be considered perhaps.
W/we are all human....to varying degrees (take that as Y/you will) :o)
Post a Comment