The D/s Academy is a project in Second Life. By facilitating educational and social events we want to help people with their questions about styles of life that purposely involve D/s dynamics. People looking for contact and exchange with other people who enjoy BDSM in its various ways are welcome to join in. Check out the events calendar: http://www.google.com/calendar/embed?src=1rs2kf7jlrpg45cic24vn15qn0%40group.calendar.google.com
Friday, October 26, 2012
Preview of tonight's casual gathering:
D/s Academy
Temple of Discussion
Friday Night 8pm SLT
Community Chat
In Voice and Text, you can type but please bring ears.
TODAY'S TOPIC: How we define Community
Start your weekend getting together with friends and family from our community for a casual gathering: All are welcome to this open chat.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please allow me to introduce myself, I am Azuri and your facilitator for this regular community chat. This is your discussion, I am your host. I have a deep passion for Community and have chosen to emphasize topics relating to community. We meet every Friday at 8 pm SLT
For anyone with academic interests, there is a whole lot on Wiki about the subject, but I'd like to start with this bit >
A community is a group or society, helping each other.
In human communities, intent, belief, resources, preferences, needs, risks, and a number of other conditions may be present and common, affecting the identity of the participants and their degree of cohesiveness.
If community exists, both freedom and security may exist as well. The community then takes on a life of its own, as people become free enough to share and secure enough to get along. The sense of connectedness and formation of social networks comprise what has become known as social capital.
There are four elements of "sense of community": 1) membership, 2) influence,
3) integration and fulfillment of needs, and 4) shared emotional connection.
Questions:
What does community mean to you?
How important is community to you?
How does community influence you?
How do you influence community?
Do we as a community have common values?
Is there common protocol within community?
Are there unspoken rules or expectations within the community for its members?
What sort of guidance, education, or resources might serve to make a better community?
How important is Tolerance within the community?
Is it important to extend tolerance outside the community?
How do we reconcile differences in perspectives, interpretations, semantics, and individual values?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I look forward to seeing you there and hearing your perspective!
in gratitude and service,
Azuri
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
sadly, I won't be able to make it today Azuri but hope the discussion goes well :o)
Problematical time for Europeans. unless there's a second session at a different time, you'll just have to monitor the comments section!
Actually I should have have said European time zone, as being based in the UK means I'm not a fully fledged European. But enough of politics!
Community (for me) is somewhere I am valued and accepted
I have to find some community somewhere, other wise I am ill at ease.
Community moderates my behavior and educates me.
I influence community by discussion - it is important that community listens and agrees or disagrees, and changes where appropriate (negotiated compromise) otherwise it is no longer my community.
There are common protocols.
There should not be unspoken protocols or rules.
Community is mostly about behavior - this can be addressed through discussion and mentoring. Rule books should be kept to an absolute minimum.
This is my community damn it, who needs tolerance?! Seriously though, tolerance within boundaries. State the boundaries.
Same for outside tolerance.
reconciliation - that's for Mir to do, she's the boss (ess)
Post a Comment